I’m so excited for 2021. After being in pandemic-inspired hibernation for over a year, the world is opening up. The masks are off and you can see the smiles of friends for the first time in so long. Also music is open to all again. There are a number of free summer outdoor series happening around the Cities and I hope to highlight them as I’m able to check them out. Starting with Performances on the Plaza (P.O.P.) on 50th and France in Edina. It’s sponsored by local shops and community.
When: Fridays 4-7pm
Where: 50th and France, Nolan Mains Plaza, which is a courtyard in the middle of the shops
It’s very family friendly. There’s an ice cream shop right there and plenty of places to sit. I got there late and was able to find shade quickly, that might be tougher exactly at 4. The parking was not difficult. There’s no pressure to buy anything. Katy Vernon has curated the lineup; it’s good! Something unique about this series is that each weekly includes a headliner and features a short set from the local emerging (high school!) musician. Tonight Sarah Morris started out the series with Thomas Nordlund. They sounded great. It was wonderful to see her in the flesh after a long break. She has such a nice balance of songs and chat – perfect for the atmosphere.
Being honest, it’s hike for me but I’m game to make the drive when I can for a great range of performers.
Full Artist Lineup
- June 4: Sarah Morris
- June 11: Mary Bue (4 – 5:30), The Teardowns (5:45 – 7)
- June 18: Jason Chafee (4 – 4:30), Dan Israel (5:15 – 7)
- June 25: Munson Hicks Party Supplies
- July 2: Chris Koza Trio
- July 9: Doug Collins (4 – 5:15), Leslie Vincent (5:45 – 7)
- July 16: Carolyne Naomi (4 – 4:30), Rion (5:30 – 7)
- July 23: ELSKA (4 – 4:45), Mayda (5 – 7)
- July 30: Annie Fitzgerald (4 – 4:45), Robert Wilkinson (5:15 – 7)
- August 6: Lewiee Blaze
- August 13: Katy Vernon (5 – 7), student performance 4 – 5
- August 20: Queen Drea (4 – 4:45) , Kashimana Ahua (5:15 – 7)
- August 27: Corpse Reviver featuring Jillian Rae